Monday, November 12, 2012

Quilt for Aurora Colorado and another sewing lesson

The quilt that I mentioned in the last post is almost done. It will be finished tonight and then I can get it mailed. It feels good! Jean at quiltingranny.blogspot.com organized a quilt drive for the families who lost people in the theater shooting and the survivors. (she still needs a few quilts done. hint, hint.) The family I am making this for lost their husband and father. He was in the navy and saved someone by throwing them down and lying on top of someone. His quilt is done in Nautical fabrics.
This is before I added borders. Here it is with the Nautical stripe borders.
Here is a close up of the focus fabric.
I still have been giving Taylor (neighbor girl) sewing lessons. Here she is with a zippered make up bag. This girl is a natural. She also LOVES to sew. She wants to make her mom some placemats for Christmas. It is fun to help someone so enthusiastic.
I saved the best for last....My kids bought me train tickets for Thanksgiving and Christmas...WooHoo.....I so was not looking forward to holidays alone. I am working frantically on Christmas gifts! xoxoxoxmelinda

6 comments:

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

I am so happy for you, Melinda; the move, the job, the new neighbors - everything! Love the zombie dolls!

Needled Mom said...

Woohoo!!! It should make for some GREAT holidays for you.

Your quilt is lovely and will be great appreciated.

Taylor is a doll as well as a creative spirit.

Jo said...

I am so glad that you will be spending holidays with family!That is wonderful! and your little student has done a fabulous job of her make up kit!

Maria said...

Your special quilt for the greiving family is lovely.. You are always so thoughful.
Your little student is doing really well. sew nice to pass on crafting to the younger generation.
Oh how exciting to be spending the holidays with the family.. The best gift you could get...

Jane said...

Lovely quilt, someone will be very happy to receive it. Great to have someone to sew along with too, she'll have so much fun making things with you

Yarni Gras! said...

so happy for you...a new friend...a gorgeous quilt for a good purpose...and TICKETS to see family!