Thursday, November 18, 2010

Hanging in there........








Maya Angelou: Every woman should…..
June 23, 2007 by seeing

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE …
enough money within her control to move out
and rent a place of her own, even if she never wants to or needs to…

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE .
something perfect to wear if the employer, or date of her dreams wants to see her in an hour…

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
a youth she’s content to leave behind….

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE .
a past juicy enough that she’s looking forward to
retelling it in her old age….

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ….
a set of screwdrivers, a cordless drill, and a black lace bra…

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE
one friend who always makes her laugh… and one who lets her cry…

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE ..
a good piece of furniture not previously owned by anyone else in her family…

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE .
eight matching plates, wine glasses with stems, and a recipe for a meal, that will make her guests feel honored…

A WOMAN SHOULD HAVE .
a feeling of control over her destiny.

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW…
how to fall in love without losing herself.

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW…
how to quit a job, break up with a lover, and confront a friend without; ruining the friendship…

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW…
when to try harder… and WHEN TO WALK AWAY…

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW…
that she can’t change the length of her calves,
the width of her hips, or the nature of her parents..

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW…
that her childhood may not have been perfect…but its over…

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW…
what she would and wouldn’t do for love or more…

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW…
how to live alone… even if she doesn’t like it…

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW..
whom she can trust,
whom she can’t,
and why she shouldn’t take it personally…

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW…
where to go…
be it to her best friend’s kitchen table…
or a charming inn in the woods…
when her soul needs soothing…

EVERY WOMAN SHOULD KNOW…
what she can and can’t accomplish in a day…
a month…and a year…

-Maya Angelou

As I sit here at 5:30 am, unable to sleep, I think this poem is speaking just to me. I keep telling myself, "I have been through worse." and I have. It means a lot to me how you all have rallied to support me...I am lucky to know that I am not alone...Thank you so much for caring.......Melinda

27 comments:

Jasmine said...

Thank you for this beautiful post. I've just separated from my partner, father of our children and this really reminds me how we should treat and regard ourselves. Have you heard the Gospel according to Shug by Alice Walker? I'm not a christian but love the sentiments behind each of the statements. Hope you are feeling better now xJ

Pat said...

You keep on hanging in there. There are many folks pulling for you....so keep in touch with us, okay?

PaTcHwOrK jEnN said...

((((((HUGS!))))) Wish our kitchen tables were a little closer.

Sherry said...

Love the poem and glad to hear your hanging in there. I think about you often.

Hugs
Sherry

Needled Mom said...

I think that poem is definitely speaking to you! Take it one day at a time right now.

Laurie said...

Beautiful beautiful post Melinda. It's wonderful to know that in our lives we have our blog friends, who have been truly just that. Friends. It's gotten me through many times. Enjoy your day dear friend!

roc said...

don't you just love every word of what you posted? she has such depth of life. hope you are doing well.

Maria said...

What a gorgeous post.

Keep strong Melinda.

Wish I was close enough to hug you lots.
Maria XXX

Maria said...

What a gorgeous post.

Keep strong Melinda.

Wish I was close enough to hug you lots.
Maria XXX

PeggyR said...

Such a great post! Check your e-mail..

Debby said...

This is a fabulous post that we should all live by.
Hugs,
Debby

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Hey lady! I was worried about you! I love this poem, I need to get some of her books, Maya is a very wise woman! You're right, you have been through worse and you will be fine, maybe not this week or this month, but eventually... Big hugs for you and call me if you need to. Love ya, me

Little Messy Missy said...

Amen!!!

Yarni Gras! said...

what a lovely and befitting poem. I think you are right....it is speaking to you. And we are all out here pulling for you, praying for you and otherwise hoping for you.

Anonymous said...

i just read your previous post...i am so sorry you are going thru this. take maya's words to heart. you are a strong woman and you'll stumble and fall, but you'll pick yourself back up and get thru this. please keep your contacts thru blogging...you will need all the love and encouragement out there. stay strong in the LORD...

HUGS & LOVE
~victoria~

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

His actions are not about you..you are perfect in God's eyes and in most everyone else's..he has the problem...you just remember that...it's not you..it really is him..or as I once saw (and laughed at)

"There are 2 sides to every story...yours and the a**hole's.."

Laura said...

Many words of wisdom there! Can't think of anything better to read at 5.30 in the morning esp. when you are feeling down.

Hands Sew Full said...

Definitely words to hold onto. Hang in there, the only thing you need to save out of this is yourself. YOU MATTER!!

Patty said...

well said, hang in there girl.

Helen in the UK said...

That is a beautiful and touching poem that I'm saving. Thanks for sharing. You WILL get through this :)

Jo said...

and thank you for the beautiful post ... and focus on the you ... you are that woman in the poem ... and those things you do need ... and yeah ... been there ... it isn't fun, but I just know you will find a lot of inner strength and carry on ... sending you great big hugs ...

Joanne Lendaro said...

(((((((((hugs))))))))

Quiltingranny said...

Now you know why he suggested you get a job....!! Wow! Just promise me you will always call me if you think you are about to do something stupid!
I am without words! I didn't see this coming with all your happiness & you do know, you will be happy as soon as the dust settles, you deserve it and you will be!

SheilaC said...

That poem is perfect! Just keep thinking great, strong thoughts like this....

repeat after me:
"I have strength beyond measure"

HUGS
SheilaC

~*~Patty S said...

Oh Sweet Pea!
Sending you strength and all you need to get through this...sometimes life makes no sense whatsoever!
Be gentle with yourself
Sharing my favorite blessing with you darlin!

May the long time sun shine upon you
All Love surround you
and the pure Light within you
Guide your way on!

Take care and know I am thinking of you and sending good vibes your way dear Melinda...
oxo

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Great words from Maya- glad that they are helping to prop you up. Beautiful portrait, too.

Sending lots of hugs-
Jeanne

Jenny said...

This is such a beautiful poem. I hope you are finding strength in it.