Sunday, January 17, 2010

working on a UFO and what I like.....

I have three unfinished objects...(UFO's) Quilts that is...I have one huge quilt top to quilt..it may be the biggest top I have ever done...It is a Washington Shop Hop quilt with themed blocks...I haven't quilted yet because to be truthful, I am kind of dreading the size thing....Then I have an Asian themed quilt and I just need to add to the borders and then I have my current project...A long time ago, for a short time, I joined a yahoo quilting group and participated in two block swaps....one was fine and the blocks I got were nice quality fabric and nicely made and the other was just a train wreck...I left the group, threw away the bad set and the 17 good blocks have just been sitting there...I think this was three years ago so I am tackling the oldest project first....Too make a quilt I decided I needed 36 blocks and I almost have them all made...They probably would be done, but my finger is sore from pushing on the rotary cutter...It is sharp, but I have a bad habit of pushing down anyway. Here is my stack of blocks...

They are 9" Split 9 patch blocks......The block pattern came from www.quilterscache.com If you haven't used the site, it is awesome....They have an alphabetized list of block patterns...A whole mess of them....JoAnn's has batting 50% off this week so I am going to have this quilt all done in the next few days....
When I talked about blogging in a previous post, I got a really good comment from Robin.....I was telling her that she really captured what it was that I was trying to say.....here is what she wrote:
I enjoy your blog. Blogging is a personal thing yet you still want to blog about things that may interest others. I love pictures. I have to admit that if the pictures don't catch my eye I just skim the blog entry.
I understand that people with busy blogs or busy lives can't always reply to each and every post. What bothers me is if I ask a question and nobody sends a reply.
I like that you mentioned it is all about balance. Life and blogging are all about balance. I like to walk the line between my crafting and my personal life. I like to give just enough information for people to understand/relate to me but not so much that my life is out there for everyone to see. We all have to decide just how much of ourselves we are going to put out there.

I do like when bloggers post regularly. Daily, weekly, monthly, it doesn't matter. I get used to a bloggers "rhythm" and know when to check out their blog to see what's going on.

Then Val wrote:I don't know what makes a blog 'good' either! Why do people 'follow' up one day and take themselves off as a follower the next? So strange.......

Now I have a theory on this one...they are following you for the purpose of a contest...I will go on record and say right now, that if I follow your blog, it is because You have caught my attention and I want to read it...I don't ever follow to just get another entry..Call me outspoken but I think it is lame...I really do....Any comments about this line of thought?

Tonight I also made a Teacher's Valentine for Jean's grandchild's teacher....I did it for her last year and she asked me to do it again...I am happy to help her three little babies.......so here is the first one...

I also took pictures of a couple things around the house that I really like......

My new ironing board cover...Isn't it pretty in pink......JoAnn's half price.....Also the linen spray, which I love...it smells wonderful and here is the good news...it is from the DOLLAR STORE!!!! I never would've tried it but Julie (my sister) had it and I got hooked on it without knowing what a great buy it was...I love it on my sheets.....The fresh scent is my favorite...I use it to iron too....And then want to smell like a cupcake, cupcake?


this stuff is wonderful......it is shampoo, bubble bath and body wash and you can get it at Ulta.....I got it for Christmas and I am hooked....If you are a girly girl, you gotta go in the Ulta store...it is beauty products, hair products and perfumes...aisles of the stuff...
What are you liking these days?

16 comments:

Joanne Lendaro said...

Interesting doing the split 9 in half white, can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Patty said...

Melinda, I like the Valentine you made for your friend's granddaughter's teacher. Did you just jump into art quilting or did you take a class some where? Do you use a heat gun ever?

Needled Mom said...

I refer to QuiltersCache all the time. I love the blocks designs.

Your own blocks look fabulous and is such a great use of scraps.

Jen xo said...

Funny how some swaps can be fantastic and others 'train wreck's', looking forward to seeing how turn that around.The asian will be interesting to see finished.
I love linen sprays too, vanillas my fav!

Love your valentines heart tooo, very pretty and i wish i could find nice ironing board covers here , think i will have to make one...have a good week and thanks for visiting.....jenxo

LynnDel said...

Here's a delayed answer to one of your questions! -- I never did get into swapping with that Yahoo group, because one of the requirements for membership is that you have the emails sent to you instead of reading them at the Yahoo group site, so I ended up leaving the group because I am too lazy to handle all those emails. It looks like a fun group though!

Lorraine said...

good luck with all those quilts. These days I like oil pastels, charcoal, my journal, making fabric postcards and my lava lamp that i found in a back cupboard and love watching...

Sherry said...

Love the Asian quilt blocks!!! Very, very pretty! I haven't been such a good blogging buddy lately, but I do always love looking at your blog and catching up with you.

Sherry

Pam said...

I didn't realize you could purchase the linen sprays at the Dollar Store. I've been buying mine at the quilt shop and it's much more than $1.00. I'm going to check at my local dollar store tomorrow while I'm out and about.

Love the pink and white paisley!!!

JennaLouiseCreates said...

I've done the train wreck block exchanges also...I cut them up and made coasters out of them:) I love the blocks you are working on and the new ironing board cover:) Thanks for sharing so many fun items. Blessings, Jenna Louise

JennaLouiseCreates said...

I've done the train wreck block exchanges also...I cut them up and made coasters out of them:) I love the blocks you are working on and the new ironing board cover:) Thanks for sharing so many fun items. Blessings, Jenna Louise

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

I am such a doofus - I have a small thank you gift for you and need to mail it out= can you email me your addy once again? I promise I won't loose it again :-)
colleen_blake@comcast.net

roc said...

love your quilt blocks. i wish i knew how to quilt. it's something i never learned how to do...even tho i sew. i always admire coming to see your projects. i'm really intrigued on this ulta stuff..never heard of it but would love to try it. i'm going to keep my eye out for it.

Yarni Gras! said...

that valentine is lovely! I am so boring with body products. I LOVE Ecobella's lavender bath products and Crabtree and Evelyn's Nantucket Briar. Since I get them online, I also buy the Bath and Body Works line of Warm Vanilla Sugar to hold me over between purchases!

Julie Harward said...

THANKS FOR THE VISIT...YOU HAVE A GOOD BLOG TOO..CUTE THINGS HERE! COME SAY HU ANY TIME :D

Micki said...

The valentine is just beautiful! She will be thrilled!
Micki

Micki said...

The valentine is just beautiful! She will be thrilled!
Micki