Saturday, March 24, 2007

Today was a fun day!







I relaxed, said the heck with laundry and played in my art room! In the winter issue of "Cloth, Paper, Scissors" there was an article on folk art dolls with a pattern by Katie Kendricks...I had wanted to make one for a while so today I did..She is so funny sitting on my dresser and with her arms wide open! I had made barbie doll clothes as a kid, but never an actual doll. I had to kind of play it by ear and I painted the face directly on the fabric and then sewed the details instead of drawing on paper and then printing it...I love the Neocolor 2 water crayons....If you heat set them they stay...They actually have become one of my favorite things to play with. There is a really cool art store near me that sells them individually...I want to go in this week and pick some more juicy colors! I am going to make several of these dolls with positive affirmations on them and put them in a basket on my dresser.What a great way to wake up....Fortune cookie sayings on an Asian inspired one would be cute too.....



I also got out for a walk in the holly orchard..(it sounds so romantic) and then came back in and made postcards, or started them...I just putzed around. Sometimes I need to do that. I did finish one for an Easter trade.....It does have a religious theme and I am not sure if the person is open to that, so I have started some featuring fabric eggs too... This one is all fabric and thread and a little bit of Angelina...The postcard is called "risen" and the doll says, "I wish for you, great things.." Now off to snuggle in bed with my pets and a good book! Night, everyone.

3 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

Love your little doll. You have such a way with getting expression on faces :)

Anonymous said...

Ooooh Melinda, this doll is superb, love the funky style you've captured - she's hysterical!!
Evie x

Unknown said...

Thanks you two!!!! melinda