Sunday, June 24, 2007

What a busy few days!!!!!!











I have been working at the sewing store here on the island and the last few days, we have had the Western Washington shop hop.....Sixty stores participate and each store gives away a quilt block representing somehow the state. Then when you put them all together, you have a beautiful quilt....I went to the Shop hop last year. I have shown a few of the blocks on this blog before, I am hoping to put the whole quilt together soon. We made fifteen hundred blocks ahead of time, and went thru every one of them...I cut enough fabric for people buying it that right now I could go in to a quilt store and not be tempted!!!!! I made tote bags today at work using a serger which was pretty cool....all those threads intimidate me, but being able to make a really cute bag in fifteen minutes is awesome!




I have made some things...I painted and atc for the fine arts group. It is called "sunhat"....I saw a picture of this little girl in a book and she looked so sweet, I tried to capture her face. Not sure I did, but I like how it came out.




I also made a fabric flower pin which I have been wanting to for awhile. It didn't turn out quite how I wanted it too but on the other hand it took me five minutes to make. I want the material to have some body and cotton doesn't. Eventually I want to make some bags with these on them that you can take off and wear as a pin or leave it on the bag....




Today, on my way home from work there was an estate sale at a house I absolutely love and I thought "what a perfect excuse to see it!'" It is made out of stone and looks like the perfect English cottage looking out over the water. The whole yard is so beautiful too...These people have really worked to make it perfect. Perennials and lavender and roses everywhere....I went in the house and just fell in love....I COVET this house....If I built one from scratch, according to my dreams, it couldn't be more perfect...The problem would be getting me out of it...I would write, and take pictures and make things and never leave....I asked the lady why she was selling....She said she and her husband are moving into a condo in a nearby town!!!!!! GASP! I wanted to say "what are you crazy??????" she told me that in twenty years when my knees hurt, I would understand...I doubt it but I humored her. Anyway, as far as the estate sale went, I found treasures!!!!!!!! First of all, the HAND' sculpture...She laughed when I said I had to have it! I got it for five bucks and it is the coolest. It is a very old, old kidskin glove with pearl buttons stuffed then put on a brass stand with old costume jewelry and a dyed ostrich feather. Why do I like it? I have no clue, it spoke to me....I also found and old deck of cards, probably from the sixties that are the size of cabinet cards and she gave them to me...I know I can make cool things with them. I love the elephant on the back...I am becoming more of a pack rat which is scary....I come from a long line of them. The furniture in the house was all incredible too.....all antiques which of course I love....I ended my little venture by telling her that the house wanted me as much as I wanted it and if she should have trouble finding a buyer to look me up....she laughed. So did I...I could see she really enjoyed how much I loved it though...The character of it and the charm were amazing ! So I have a few days off and now it is back to things like weeding, and vacuuming and being grateful for what I have!

4 comments:

Heather Robinson said...

So enjoyed reading of your adventures at the estate sale. I can almost picture that people house and property. Love the sunbonnet girl...and the flower pin.

Judy said...

Such great stuff you found... It would have been very difficult to control myself at a sale like that.
I really like your painting .I would like to try it.. but not as artistic as you are...I posted the picture of the bird from Austraila on my blog..Love your blog !!

Helen in the UK said...

Love the sunhat ATC - such a great expression on the girl's face. Great find at the estate sale too :)

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.