Thursday, August 12, 2010

The yellow honeybee.....


Tonight I am linking up to Jenny Matlocks summer school and the topic is Yellow....
I love yellow, the color of sunshine and butter and lemons...I love buttery yellow walls in a kitchen with white cabinetry and red accents..I like to use bright yellow when I make things but I never wear yellow unless I want to look like I am jaundiced yellow from something like Hepatitis C...You know in case I want a seat on a crowded bus or something like that...

I grew up in a small town and you know every small town has a character or two....We had Honeybee....She was a lady probably in her fifties and she loved the color yellow and everything bee.....I secretly admired her, her boldness, her attitude and her cleavage that defied gravity all wrapped up into a provocative yellow package.












She was a traffic stopper. She had an amazing platinum blond beehive for starters...













I have always been fascinated by beehive hairdo's.....This one was extra special because it always had the little fake bee's poked into it.



























She wore bright yellow halter tops and Black pants that hugged her little stinger. She favored yellow stiletto's and she had the wiggle down to an art.













She would buzz around town in her yellow Thunderbird with Honey bee emblazoned on the back....











She was an event just by showing up...She was built like one of these and knew how to use it....










I would look down at my flat little chest and dream....I admired her...To me she was a woman of mystery and beauty. One day at the post office, I finally got up the nerve to say something....
"Is your name really Honey bee?" I said....
"She looked me up and down and said, "you can just call me honey, sugar."
I was thrilled....We were friends. I waved to her from then on and she always waved back. My mom would just smile and say, "it takes all kinds."
I don't know where she went, or what happened to her but I like to think she went somewhere and had a magnificent life!
Maybe when I am fifty I will be a honeybee and all the little girls will admire me.......

26 comments:

Trudy said...

What a neat story.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

Trudy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jane said...

She must have been quite a character

Susan Anderson said...

Those eccentric people kind of make a town, don't they? Everybody needs to know a few...

=)

Kat said...

I love this story. She sounds like a hoot! And your comment about needing a seat on the bus cracked me up. I can't wear yellow either, but I'll keep that little trick in mind - might come in handy someday :)

Anonymous said...

laughing out loud at 6:42 a.m. all alone in the office...the men in white coats [[[yellow]]] coats will be coming for me soon!!!

i love this story :D did honey know the secret??? are we just plain boring people??? kick off your sneakers...get them spike heels out of the closet and walk down main street...happy friday :D

~victoria~

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

What a GREAT memory! We all need to have "Honeybees" in our lives..may we appreciate each and every person for the gifts they give us!

Joanne Lendaro said...

You are already a honey! Sweet as can be!! Have a great day!

Yarni Gras! said...

love it....I'd like to be a honeybee too....I think she probably is living a wonderful life....you know the saying about bees attracting honey!

Patty said...

I think that you are already a "Honey Bee" in your own way. we had a few of those "characters" in our town too. like your Mom says "It takes all kinds" and that's a good thing. :^)

~✽Mumsy✽~ said...

What a wonderful story! I have a few people on my list that I admire and envy all the same too!

margaret said...

Brilliant post Melinda!! love it all! Mx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You make the greatest posts out of nothing more than a color! What an awesome story, great imagery (although your words alone provided much), and fun post. Have a great weekend, dear.

~*~Patty S said...

Fabulous and fun post dear Melinda!
Love it!
AND your blog header is so fresh and inspiring!
Happy Friday to ya!
oxo

Laurie said...

Loved the memory Melinda! Brought to mind the eccentrics from our neighborhood. I miss those days! Brilliant post from a color! (which is my favorite, it's such a cheery color!)

Cheryl said...

Loved your story. My favorite line: She was an event just by showing up. Nicely done.

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh what a great story!!! I say go for it Melinda!!! :D

Anonymous said...

This is an absolutely wonderful character sketch. I wonder if she has any idea how many little girls looked up to her and dared to be different because of her.

Teresa

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

yellow hair, shoes, and wow,
very cute ones.

Micki said...

I love yellow too...my kitchen is a nice bright yellow!
Micki

Quiltingranny said...

Melinda:
I want the yellow pumps and gravity defying cleavage...great post! Love the new blog look!

JennaLouiseCreates said...

How fun! I love this post...yellow is becoming a more fun color to me all the time:)

Jo said...

I'm a little slow getting around this week, ... err last week ... but my gosh i loved the story ... i so wish i had the guts to be just like your Honeybee!

signed...bkm said...

Wonderful yellow post...love the yellow shoes...bkm

Jenny said...

What are you talking about, girl!?!

You are a honey bee! Just ask Don!

I loved this post. I could visualize her every wiggle and wobble.

It would be fun to find out more about her.

Maybe in your spare time, you know?

Thanks for a really intriquing post, Melinda.

A+

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I enjoyed your Honeybee story so much...started my day with a smile. My favorite: She wore bright yellow halter tops and Black pants that hugged her little stinger. LOL!