Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Winds of change a row quilt and stuff!

Yesterday was a huge day for me. I went back to being a career woman. I am tired, dog tired....Thank gosh I worked one day then had a day off to recoup...The rest of the week I wont be so lucky! Since the kids are gone, I decided to go get a real job. Something I haven't had in five years. A job with some earning potential and I got one...I am working for a big furniture store here in Utah and I am pretty excited about it. (if you are in Utah and you want to buy some furniture, email me!) Don has full veterans benefits but I don't qualify for them so we both made the decision for me to re enter the work force. I had to beautify myself up and go shopping for shoes to stand in all day and professional clothes...That part was really fun! Yes, the shoes do have heels, but they arent 3 inches....Can't live without some kind of heel.








Now we will see how it affects my craft and sewing time and my blogging time.....Bogging is a big time commitment, that is for sure.
Sunday was my birthday, the big four niner.....All I can say is 'weird"....But I would rather be 49, 69 or 89 than dead, least I am still kicking up a cloud of dust. We had a bbq and a really nice day. Don also took me to my favorite Japanese restaraunt the night before. I love sukiyaki......My present is also on it's way from Japan.....It is a Blythe doll...This one is from "dollymolly" on Etsy....She makes the cutest Blythe doll clothes and has several cutom dolls.







Olivia and I have been drooling over them for about six months. Our plan is to make clothes together and I want to learn to customize and sell them....This one from Dolly Molly is a custom doll....The one I have coming is called Nicky Lad....and I already have made a couple of outfits. I had never sewn doll clothes before...What an experience....Olivia is as excited as I am and has another doll all picked out.
I finished my "house row" for Barb's house row quilt....I did crazy houses with lots of colors. This is going to be a really cute quilt....The rows look so cute together and they all have a different style.










Off to sew a fuzzy pink Blythe coat!

20 comments:

Jo said...

oh you haveno idea how much i want a blythe doll ... i would almost kill for one ... well not literally ... have fun making the clothes ...i used to make doll clothes for my dd's dolls and barbies and plushies way back when ... it is fun, but tiny ... enjoy and please show us the results! and best wishes on the new job!

Patty said...

Wow a career woman! Love those shoes, good luck. You know your only tired because of being on you feet and the newness of working again things will get better as time goes on.

Patty said...

Oh I forgot come over and visit me I'm having a little give away.

Julie Harward said...

I would guess R C Willy's? Hope you have fun with it. And Happy Birthday on the #49..thats a good one! Love the little doll and the cloths are so cute! :D

Trudy said...

Happy birthday and hope you enjoy your new job.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com &
www.artisticcreationswithtrudy.blogspot.com

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Those shoes look SO uncomfortable. But I'm a tennis shoe kind of gal. When I worked in the corporate world, I still wore them. I sometimes got looks, but my feet didn't hurt at the end of the day.

I've never heard of that doll, but it sounds like you are in LOVE with it (grin).

And happy belated birthday. You should have told us.

Pat said...

Good luck with the job and a belated Happy Birthday wish to you!

Jenny said...

Happy Birthday!

Happy Job!

I think your life is going to be so busy and fun! And you will be great at the furniture store. With your eye for color and design you will be the star of the whole place in no time!

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

HAPPY
BIRTHDAY!!!
WOW...back to the working world...in heels too!!! I hope your new job is great and that you have time for all your creative creating and blogging! You'll be so busy!
Deb :)

Jane said...

What a lovely quilt.
Hope the job goes well and enjoy your day off

Helen in the UK said...

Belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Hope you enjoy your new job and still have the time and energy to enjoy your crafting :)

Joanne Lendaro said...

Hey Chickie!! Hope you get settled into the new career! You will be fantastic with your great sense of style and fun personality! Keep us
posted on life....hugs!!

Maria said...

Happy belated Birthday Wishes. so pleased you had a nice day.
Cute doll. How did your dolly dress go??
Love your crazy house row.

gin said...

congrats on the new job!
Happy Birthday to you!
Cute house row quilt and doll.
See, you can still do it all!!!

Margaret said...

Belated birthday wishes!! hoorah for career kickstart, just so long as we don't miss out here in Blogland (no pressure lol...) but knowing you and your boundless energy we'll all do ok! Mx

Holly Loves Art said...

Happy belated birthday! Oh boy the last year of the 40's.. well you wear it well my dear! And huge congrats on a new job. Glad you like it so far. Have fun!
Hugs,
Holly

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

First off - Happy {belated} Birthday!! Yep..any day we see daylight is a gift in itself :-)

Love love love those dolls! I saw them somewhere in Blogland and instantly fell in love..I can pass up the Barbies, the Bratz, even the Cabbage Patch..but these have really pulled me IN!

Good luck on your job! Does the store start wit RC?? Hope you really love it and it's not too much for you. You go girl!!

Patty said...

The row quilt is really cute.

Yarni Gras! said...

cute doll.......LOVE that quilt. Congrats on your job, hope we still see you around here!

roc said...

oh melinda...congratulations on reentering the work force! i feel for you. i just got a part time job myself and i'm exhausted! it's hard to go back to work when you've been off for so long. and you are right..it's better to be 49 than to be dead! that made me laugh out loud!
happy birthday my friend!