Thursday, August 19, 2010

The green sweater


I am once again apart of Jenny Matlocks Rainbow Summer School...This week the color is green. (jennymatlock.blogspot.com)

I love green and I thought and thought about what green thing to write about. Then I remembered my favorite green and white sweater...The year was 1976. I just turned 14 and went school shopping with my grandma who loved me like crazy. We drove to Astoria Oregon and went to this really cute boutique and she let me pick out a few outfits. (wasn't she awesome?) I found some cute things and we were getting ready to leave, when I saw it in the window....A zip up green and white sweater with a hood. In those days, there was no such word as hoodie' but that is what it was. I kind of ambled over and looked at the price tag. It was 35.00 which is a huge amount for then.....I wouldnt even ask for something like that. We met my Aunt Marilyn for lunch and we visited for a while. My Grandma went to check on an alteration she was having done. I got home that night, and there in the bag, was THE green sweater...Sometimes you just know when something looks really good on you and this was one of those pieces. It matched my eyes and flattered my petite figure. I felt pretty in it! I wore it on the first day of school even though it was 80 degrees out and I cooked all day. It was worth it, I looked cute I am sure. It was my favorite piece of clothing and I wore it a lot.
I wore it to my friend Maureen's house over Christmas vacation. She lived in the town of Milwaukie Oregon and I lived on the Oregon Coast. We spent a lot of school vacations together at one house or the other. My dad was really strict and wouldnt let me watch pg movies...A fact which I found humiliating. We went to Cinema 5 in Milwaukie and probably paid about a dollar to see the new movie Jaws.






Maureen had seen it and was excited to take me. She had me terrified by the time the previews were on. I was shaking with fear and ready to scream....and scream I did...Finally by the time the scene came on where Richard Dreyfuss is scuba diving and the head pops out, I reached my limit....(I had taken off my precious sweater and was gripping it thru the whole movie....) I pressed it in my mouth and bit a hole right in the hood....not a little hole either. I almost choked myself.










My poor sweater was done for....What a great and funny memory though...By the way, my dad found out I went to Jaws and I was grounded for two weeks....it was worth it.......And that is my green story.....Happy green day!

24 comments:

Julie Harward said...

LOL...cute story and I screamed at that same point too and I was older than you! ;D

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You come up with the best stories, all full of visual imagery. Lovely to read, too. What a great one.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

your efforts do pay off,
lovely green tale.

Anonymous said...

How funny. I love your green story.

Teresa

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

That's such a fun story to share with all those wee ones you have runnung around! Great visuals!

Laurie said...

Too funny Melinda! What a cute story. I'm enjoying your memories!

easternsparkle said...

That's a great story, good that you have other memories to go with it as well! I so remember Jaws, I was a little older than you but scared just the same!

Jen xo said...

what a great green story.....too funny...

Maria said...

I just loved your green story Melinda. I could just see you peering in the window at the green sweater and then chewing a hole in it at the movies.
DH and I went to see Jaws with the kids and we were on a seaside holiday. We went swimming as soon as we got home or else we would never have gone into the sea again.

Anonymous said...

you tell the best stories...
i too screamed...and was older than you...
when my daughter was little and we were in the pool i would swim around her in circles and do that music...da da da daaa da da da daaa
to this day she won't get in the pool when i'm in :D scarred for life :( bad mommy

~victoria~

Tracy said...

what a lovely story thanks for sharing

Margaret said...

Brilliant! love the pic of the hole!! my smile for the day... Mx

Jo said...

you are hysterical!!! i cant imagine biting a hole in a sweater, you must have really been terrified!

Terra said...

Not to mention that Grandmas ROCK! Your story was very sweet

Patty said...

Good story.

Kristin said...

Oh this is a great story! My mom once ditched school (something she would not normally do) and was caught by her dad driving by on his lunch hour!
I love the hole in the sweater and the reason it got there, Kristin xo

Mary said...

What a funny story...Jaws had me terrified too :-)

Micki said...

I loved your green story!
Micki

JJ said...

That sounds like a fun memory. Green is my favorite color. My kids give me a hard time because everything is green. I dont think everything is but they do, in fact more could be and I would be happy.

minnie_mac said...

Enjoyed your story. I vividly remember everyone in the cinema jumping and squealing at that point in the film !

Marilyn

Jenny said...

This is my favorite Green link this week!

I loved this entire story...start to finish.

What a wonderful link to Rainbow Summer Schools GREEN!

Still smiling here!

A+

Trudy said...

Cute story.

Thank you for your nice comments on my blog.

Trudy
www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

linda said...

Astoria is a beautiful place.
Your grandmother must have been super.
I love 'Jaws'! I watch it a couple times a year.
Great story.

Yarni Gras! said...

haha! I STILL scream at that same point in the movie...love it! I loved your story, thanks for sharing!!!