Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ideas......

(If you are here for Jenny's summer school Orange post....click on the link! Otherwise, keep reading....thanks....)
http://melindasfabricfancies.blogspot.com/2010/04/o-is-for-orange.html






Yesterday I had a crappy day. I slept a lot. Enough that Don got worried and made me get up and move around...Then I started feeling better and by then it was bedtime...he was the tired one now...He went to sleep and my mind went into overdrive...Not an unusual chain of events by the way. I started thinking of all the positive things that I could do starting tomorrow without the kids...I could take a bath by myself without kids pounding on the door. I could go to a Zumba class which I have been wanting to do...I could go to a movie with my sister and do the girl thing.....You get the idea. Then I started thinking that last year at this time when the kids left I got a kitten "to make me feel better"....Yeah, it was a great idea.....When I got him, he looked like this...














He was so cute and little and such a little snuggler and he still is! Except now, he looks like this....




















Joe Bobbins is one of my best friends...and he really did help me last year...Animals always know when someone is sick or upset and they are right there...Of course I also have Thomas,











And Cooper the giant yellow lab....shown here with a bunny in his mouth because he is feeling left out.....





















And my latest pet aquisition, Donalds, the little bunny who I love to cuddle and love.....and he loves me back....

















So I am lying there, the wheels spining, and I am thinking and thinking....What I have been lobbying for, is a nice little chicken or two and now there are no kids in the backyard....and we have a garden and chickens eat bugs and it would cheer me up soooooo much to go pick out a couple of nice chickens......Don is right next to me snoring away....But I have to play this one out right....Finesse you know.

"snore"
"honey, are you awake?'
"mumble, bumgle"
"honey?'
"yeah I'm awake......whats wrong?"
"I know what will make me feel better..."

He is totally quiet...I think he is scared......

"Do you want to know what it is?'

I get a very hesitant ok...

"Well remember how last year when the kids left I got a kitten and it made me so happy and now Joe Bobbin's isnt a kitten anymore so I think I should get another kitten...." ( all in one breath)

"We're not getting another kitten honey"

"please, please please...."

"no kitten, now go to sleep"...

"what kind of pet can I get?"

"no pets, we have enough pets, go to sleep."

he immediately lets out a big snore......


(moving in for the kill...)


"Chickens arent pets...."

"mumble, mumble....

"chickens eat earwigs and you know I have an earwig phobia....and then we wouldnt have to treat the yard and they make little chickens you know, it doesnt have to be the big giant chickens and I have had them beofre and they arent a lot of work and I know you will get a kick out of them too...

"We are not going to have a bunch of chickens in the yard..."

"how about two chickens....?"

"ok, honey, we will talk about this in the morning, now go to sleep!"

I am thinking SCORE! I am getting chickens...woohoo....I finally went to sleep dreaming of happy little chickens pecking in the garden and the hours I would spend watching them and the names I would give them.....you know, all that stuff.....


So I am finally sleeping away and I hear Don talking at me.....
What I hear is the teacher in Charlie Brown saying "wah, wah,wah wah wah wah". I try to focus with crossed eyes....
Ok, I can see him now...I am trying to hear and read lips...something about watching something....

I slide out of bed, I dont have bones yet and stumble towards him...He grabs my arm and steadies me as I mumble "diet coke"....(my caffeine of choice)....He steers me into the living room, plops my butt on the couch and gets me a diet coke....

"now I know you are half asleep, but I want you to pay as much attention to this show as you can...It's important....
I nod and try to look alert...this must be really important if he is waking me up....
He turns on the tv and goes to the recordings on the dvr.....now I am a little more awake and getting alarmed....what is going on? did someone bomb someone? was there a tidal wave?
The show comes on, Don smiles, I do a slow burn....
There is a new show on Animal planet...its called "animal hoarders"....grrrrr

I have never heard of anyone hoarding chickens !!!!...We might have to have a talk about this one.....I am thinking about three in the morning.....enough said......

21 comments:

Jane said...

Chickens are soooo much fun! And if they could travel in the post, I've got four kittens looking for homes, lol

PaTcHwOrK jEnN said...

hmm, i love my chickens though my husband doesn't. They are lots of fun. You know you can order peeps and the post office delivers them right to your door.

Needled Mom said...

Been there and done that!!!! They are great pets, but they eat every plant in the garden - when they are searching for those bugs!!!!

Karen said...

I want chickens SOOOO BAD! Cute little chickens in my backyard with a cute little barn shaped coop with flower boxes in the windows. I want to wear overalls and collect eggs every morning... Maybe someday we'll both get our chickens :)

GardenOfDaisies said...

LOL!!! Here within city limits we are limited to three pets, no more than two of any kind. So we just have the two cats. Maybe I should move out of town... I would like that.

gin said...

we've had chickens too. But the cats I love!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an adorable story. Unfortunately, chickens are NOT allowed in the city limits of Wichita. Anyone who has them will be fined. I think that's a crock, because the farm supply store sells them (babies) at Easter. I think Don would be really happy to move to Wichita (grin).

Laurie said...

I just got back from my brother's who raises chickens, and in fact I'm posting about it. I've been wanting a few chickens of my own, but my husband feels the same way. In fact he wants me to get rid of the kittens which I'm having a hard time with. Maybe I'll try the 3 in the morning talk! Never hurts to try!

Little Messy Missy said...

Hahahahaha!!! If you can talk him into the getting hens...let me know I have connections and I also raise hens! You are welcome to come and see my ladies set up anytime!!!

Patty said...

I gotta to hand it to Don, does he know my husband? I tried the chicken thang too and his reaction wasn't as clever as Don's but the end result was the same... at least for now...

Lorraine said...

your post made me laugh..hope you get your chickens but wont the cats like them too! I love taking the kids to see the chickens at the farms and would love to keep them if I lived on a big farm as they need lots of space..we have 2 guinea pigs who are just about right for us now

Anonymous said...

Melinda Sweetie...this was too cute...I know you'll keep us posted with your little petting zoo... (((keep adding to it)))

~victoria~

Joanne Lendaro said...

You are too funny!! Chickens!! Cute post!

Jen xo said...

haha.... i'm really only a fan of roast chook!!

i do love your rabbit tho, they are nice to cuddle...hope you are feeling a bit better..xx

Micki said...

What cute pets you have! I have two dogs we rescued!
Micki

Jenny said...

Oh man. Maybe what you need is a goat. A goat would be really distracting.

Prayers continue to come your way.

Yarni Gras! said...

I don't know if you feel better but I got a laugh outta that one! I'm on a hedgehog binge but my sweet hubby keeps saying no....but one day, I'll wear him down....
Chickens are totally cute!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have to say, chickens are wonderful! There's nothing like listening to them talk; it's it own form of meditation.

Teresa

Quiltingranny said...

There is a rabbit hoarder in Portland & she has been forbidden from owning any rabbits....hmmm, I think I am sending Portland PD to Utah, I think I know where she moved to! Thanks for the preview of what our little kasey the kat is going to look like at an older age!

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

LOL!!!!!!! Animal hoarders? WHATever does he mean?!!! I have 1 dog, 3 cats and 2 parakeets.... hmmmm.

Laurie said...

HA! I have heard about that show! I love your hubby's sense of humor!