Friday, May 18, 2012

A name suggestion contest.....

I make custom quilted pet portraits. I have never seen anything out there like them. I have sold quite a few and I want to open my first Etsy shop based on just doing the portraits....I can do them on a frameable quilt, a bag or a pillow...I can also frame them...here are a few samples....



















Laurie from "indulge your shelf" sent me an advance copy of the book "Etsy 101" which she is featured in. One of the things that is talked about it is the importance of a name..It needs to be short and memorable and yet different...Help me think hard and come up with something... I will run this for a week. So it ends Friday May 25th...What will you win? of course a custom pet portrait....

To win, I am just going to pick the best shop name that isn't already being used. I love doing these and people seem to love them. In order to do them I need a good quality digital photo and I really need to see the face...especially the eyes. If I use just a picture that isn't really good, the portrait is going to reflect that. I can use all fabric or make a mixed media background...(paper fabric) you can pick colors or just one background color and a accent. They range in size but generally are about 11 by 12 and up depending on the size of the animals face or if there is more than one. The frames are made to fit the quilt portrait. I am not afraid of the quirky or different so be creative with the names or just short and to the point. I am excited to see what you all come up with...xoxoxox melinda

19 comments:

Jo said...

i'm thinking, i'm thinking ... nothing clever is coming ...

Joanne Lendaro said...

good luck!! I stink at this...come on "splittingstitches"?!?!? what was I thinking??

roc said...

oh..i'm so happy for you! your work is gorgeous!!
how about: paws for art

Pat said...

Several names that came to mind are already taken (I did a search). How about Paws-itively Clever? Your work with those pet quilts is wonderful!!!

Jen xo said...

melinda your pet portraits are wonderful.... you need to go to dog shows and show the before and afters , you will be flooded with orders...i will think on name but i find it hard too.

Maria said...

Your Pet prtaits are always gorgeous Melinda. Both Roc and Pat's ideas are good. Or Paws-itively Cute......
Good luck.

arlette said...

I have 2 possible names for you. They're PatchPaws for (Patchwork & Paws) and/or QuiltPaws (Quilting & Paws)

GARAGE SALE GAL said...

Since I OWN one of your Awesome Fabric Pet Portraits...I'll try very hard to think of a name or two for you! I think going to a pet show is a GREAT idea...how about vet clinics too! I bet there are bullentin boards that you could post on..with an email address (beware of strangers)...
How about:
FABRIC PET PORTRAITS
Sweet, simple and righ to the point!
Sorry to hear your "ex" isn't being nice..however it's nice to hear the judge order more $$ for you!
Warmly,
deb

Patty said...

Melinda’s Fancy Fabric Pets

Kristin said...

Ooooh, what a wonderful and clever idea! Okay, I will get to thinking (nothing coming right away) but since we have a new puppy! I would SO love to win some of your talent!
I'll put the cap on . . . xo!

Pam said...

Hi Melinda. Glad you are making plans for your Etsy business. The posts above have some great ideas. How about "Stitching Cats and Dogs".

Laurie said...

Bobby's portrait hangs proudly in our home Melinda, and has had many compliments! I know you'll do great on Etsy.

Needled Mom said...

You did such wonderful work on them. How about Petsational?

Jo said...

hmmm ... "The Quilted Pet"

Laurie said...

Melinda, you were born to do this. Of everything I've seen you do, these show your passion and are beyond wonderful. My shop name suggestion: Fine Threaded Friends

Yarni Gras! said...

I think this is a terrific idea but don't need to enter your contest....here are some thoughts:

Melinda's Fur-baby Fancies

"Cooper's Art for Pets" and use a fabric portrait of Cooper in your heading, etc.

Cooper (same thing, shorter name)

Fur N Fabric

Fins Feather Fur N Fabric (if you'll do other critters...)

Quilted Critters

Melinda's Menagerie

Menagerie (most people identify the word menagerie with animals but you could also include other stuff)

Melinda's Much Ado...(meaning you do a ton of art, etc.)

I keep thinking of putting fur and art together but only come up with "fart" so I guess I'll sign off now....hahaha
If I think of more, I'll come back, Love ya!

Jody said...

Great idea--you are so talented, you'll do good! I like Val's suggestion of Melinda's Menagerie--(not "fart" so much!!:) )

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Hi Melinda! I liked Pet Portraits as you wrote in your post. Or Animal Art, Animal Artworks, Canine Creations (if only dogs) , Funky Fabric Friends, Fun Fiber Friends...

Anonymous said...

Mindy's Sow Pets...:)