Friday, June 7, 2013

I just can't believe it is June already! Daniel and Olivia are officially out of school. Taylor (my little bff from Utah) will be here from the 24rth until the 19th of August. She told me she has been packed for two weeks. We are both pretty excited. I just hope that the jealousy bug doesn't hit Liv too bad. We have a lot of things planned so it is going to be busy. I found on Pinterest (of course)a list of 100 things to do this summer so I printed three copies and we are going to make journals and journal about each thing we manage to do. Taylor and Liv were both encouraged to read and practice any kind of language arts over the summer y their teacher's, so we figured this would be a fun way to get some practice in. Olivia's twelfth Birthday is the end of the month. She wants to have a crafty birthday sleepover. I told Stacie (oldest daughter) feel free to have it at your house but I know the answer to that. We are doing tents, a cupcake bar and ice cream they each make in a baggie. We also are going to make fairy jars and stuffed owls. Daniel, Stacie and I practiced and made three owls. They are super easy and fast. Especially since I only have one pair of fabric scissors. It is all just random pieces of fabric sewn together and stuffed. and here are the backs. The one on the far right is mine. I was so tickled to have Stacie sewing with me. She never has shown any interest in anything crafty. NOTHING. She kept telling me how fun they were to make. So she and I before the party are going to cut out a bunch of pieces and have the interfacing ironed on and then the 5 girls can sew them. I have three machines so I think it will be ok. We figured it is better than doing sugar and junk filled goody bags. Both Olivia and Taylor sew too. A really cool thing has happened. I have reconnected with my granddaughter Haylie. She is my sons daughter and she is now 10. I haven't seen her since she was almost 4. There was a divorce and resentment and I felt like I was being asked not to intrude on her new life. It has weighed so heavy on my heart. Well, I reached out again and it worked out good! I made her some things and I sent them and hopefully I will be able to see her after the 4rth of July. She has changed a lot. One of the things I made her is an exploding photo box. These are amazingly cool. They are done with cardstock, cute papers and pictures. The outside makes a box and then you make a lid. When you open it there are all these pictures. Very cute and personal project. I am going to make one for my dad for Fathers Day. I also made her a halter maxi with a nylon chiffon ruffle on the bottom. Liv fell in love with it though it is a size too big for her. I pinned the sides and had her model it so if it looks a little wonky, it is from the pins. Now I love the chicken but I didn't want him in the picture. That was the only way she would let me take her picture though. I was just hoping that he didn't poop on the dress. (he didn't) I just love how it looks in the back. I decided to try my hand at Bowed flip flops too... The zen room will be done tomorrow and the puce curtains turned into something else. Although not curtains. No newspaper either...That will probable be my next post. Happy summer all. xoxooxxmelinda

10 comments:

Jody said...

Very cool stuff!! I loved reading this happy post!

Jen xo said...

I love reading about your life Melinda... you are making such wonderful things..its just inspiring ....and what am inspiration to all those young ones too...:)

roc said...

Love the dress. Love the owls. Love that you are getting family time!

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Love those owls, such a fun project for a group of girls!
Wishing you a wonderful summer with your young companions and hoping that you will check off all the 100 things on your list!

Maria said...

How wonderful you are going to have a great time with your grannies and your UBS too..
Sounds like you have a wonderful time planned and the birthday should be fabulous...
LOVE LOVE the owls and how good the kids are sewing them too.
That photo box is awesome , you always make such fun things.
I am so pleased to read your happy post Melinda.

Maria said...

Silly computer fixing my typing . It was meant to be your YBF... Young best friend... Not USB LOL

PeggyR said...

Love what you have done!

Laurie said...

Melinda you never cease to amaze me! I swear if it's a project, no matter what it is, you perfect it! Your vacation sounds like it's going to be one you've deserved for so long. Looking forward to your adventures! By the way, I love the chicken in the pic, and the exploding picture box is so cool.

Jenny said...

Oh Melinda!
I am so happy the joy of those Grandlittles is so strong in your life.
She is beautiful.
And so are you!
Hugs and peace.

Yarni Gras! said...

oh man how I adore those owls...but the maxi is precious!