Tuesday, May 7, 2013

It feels like summer already!

The last two weeks have been in the mid to high 80's here in Kennewick. I remember snow in May in Utah and I gotta say, " This is a nice change!" It may even be too hot. I sure like getting to putter around the yard this early though. I still am totally addicted to Pinterest. I look at it everyday and just drool. All the ideas and the things I want to do. It really is amazing to me that there are so many ways to do so many things...From making your own laundry soap to how to's for house repairs and pictures of cute baby animals. I have a hard time with the cute baby animals. I want them all in my backyard. It really is hard to restrain myself to 4 chickens, a big dog, two cats, a bunny and a fish. Sighhhhhhhh. I finished a quilt top today. This is one of three UFO's that I have. I struggled with what to do with the rows. It was a round robin row quilt that Barb hosted. It was Barb, Robin, Jen and Hetty along with myself. The theme I picked was bright stars. When I laid it out I noticed the purple. I love purple, so I bought some purple. Here it is... I love me some bright colors for sure. I think I am going to do a soft fleece back, purple binding, straight line quilting and maybe some orange rickrack. When I get it done I am going to try to find a picture of the other ladies finished quilts and post them, because I am sure that mine is the last one! Olivia and I made a hat for the Kentucky Derby. We just decided it would be fun. I thought it was pretty outrageous with all the flowers. Then we went online and googled outrageous hats....Oh my word, there are some doozies. I love them. We might have to revisit the hat making. She loves to wrap some chiffon around herself and prance around in her hat. When I was a kid it was my moms nightgowns...one of them was cut like a princess dress. Weird I know, but kids are weird and wonderful anyway. While she was prancing we went outside and made some mini greenhouses from mason jars and plastic pots. We had gotten some cuttings from the neighbor and I want to see how they do. Most are roses, but there also is a lilac and a snowball bush. I used a pinterest tip of course. Use cinnamon instead of buying rooting hormone. Way cheaper and something almost everyone has. Now we will see how it works. I played in the dirt, cinnamon and stems and Olivia wrote out the names on masking tape and stuck them on the jars. Some of the plants we knew the names, others she got creative on...I noticed an Olivia and auntie rose among other things....Haha. We had fun and I am anxious to see how they do. You don't know until you try. A tipsy plant pot was something I always wanted to make. I saw them several years ago on someone's blog. You basically thread clay pots on a plant stake. Then I saw someone gilded the lily and painted them and added dots. I looked for clay pots and they weren't cheap. I did find some cheap plastic one in colors {!} at Walmart. So I didn't have to paint them first. I picked black then added some white dots and ribbon then sprayed them with sealer. YAY! Tipsy pots. I like them. Are they perfect? Not really but they are fun. I just have to show you a picture of my feathered babies. They are so cute. These two are Rhode Island Red hens...Named appropiately, Ginger (from Gilligans Island) and Lucy. Guess from where. This is Chip, my favorite. I am hoping Chip is not a rooster because I love him. He loves for me to hold him. Yes, I snuggle my chicken. I am crazy that way. The black chicken is Butter. When he was a fluffy little thing, his butt was a creamy yellow like butter. Hence Butter the chicken who I am pretty sure is a rooster. I can't have Roosters here and having had one before, I am not sure I want one. I love the crowing but they can be mean little buggers. I could lose my lips to a rooster. You know if I forgot myself and snuggled one. Oh well! Have a happy day! melinda xoxoxoxoxox P.S. This quilt is going to become a Giveaway quilt on my blog...I think it is a good way to celebrate my new life near my kids, so stay tuned!!!!!!!

10 comments:

Jody said...

Love the tipsy pot--more info, please? (I need, er, want one!!)

Maria said...

Hi Melinda.
Just love this happy post..
Your row by row quilt looks great and I would be delighted to win it..
How gorgeous are those topsy turvy pots..
Cute chicks too.
Hugz
Maria

Laurie said...

First let me say, I am so so happy for you Melinda! You deserve all the happiness you can get! I love that quilt, the hat is so cute, and the tipsy pots are great! I'm going to have to do that one. My heart is so happy you finally got your chickens! They're so much fun, aren't they!?

Laurie said...

Hi again Melinda! Your book came back, I had the wrong address. Could you send me your updated one? Thanks!

roc said...

Love your tipsy pots! Your chickens are adorable! Love how happy you are!

Quiltingranny said...

I too want the instructions for the tipsy pot, my new deck is as bare as can be. Love the dots!! I so want chickens but hubby says now, here the coons or weasels will eat them & he knows I would be a shreaking mess!
Stop by my new site and follow. You don't have to respond to all posts, it is for quilts for 911 dispatchers and other family members of tragedies.http://layersofhopequilting911.blogspot.com/

Jen xo said...

gosh you have been busy but you sound really happy :) I love pinterest too so many lovely things on there...the tipsy pot is wonderful :) am going to have a go at making laundry detergent this week ....:)

Yarni Gras! said...

I'm so happy you are happy!!!

Kerry said...

Love your tipsy pot .... very quaint :-)
So glad to see you happy and creating again Melinda.

jillytacy said...

Love the black and white tipsy pots and your chicks are so cute! Thinking of you chicken snuggling makes me smile!