Sunday, February 3, 2008

One Block Wonder Quilts.....











I was in the store tonight where we are having a showing of the "one Block wonder" quilts...Beth teaches the class and it is jam packed every time. I know I have talked and talked about this quilt, and I finally remembered a camera to take pictures....The centers of the quilts are from one fabric and then they are put together in hexagons making them look like a kaliedescope...You never really know how they are going to look when you pick the fabric. That is half the fun of the quilt...The first one is mine....I really played with the borders and it actually is hung on its side...it will either speak to you or it won't. I have had people who adore it and then I have had traditional quilters who dont like the mismatched borders...The second is my friend Laura's...She used an asian print on a black background...I love the ORANGE! It has grown on her. For a while she wasnt feeling it at all..The third is Nancy's...I love this quilt...The colors are so me, I hinted I would trade but she didnt take the offer...hehe....and the last one is Beth's...she is who teaches this class...You would never believe what the whole piece of fabric that this was made from looks like...It actually is from what I consider to be a homely piece of tropical stuff and it made a ROCKIN' quilt! Just thought I would share!!!!

9 comments:

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Melinda - these are awesome! Would love to know how they're done! I love yours! It reminds me of a landscape. I like all the other ones too, they're all so different! Looks like fun. Marva

carylsrealm said...

Absolutely gorgeous!

Helen in the UK said...

Isn't it amazing how totally different these quilts look depending on the fabrics used. All are wonderful though, so I'm not surprised that the class always fills up :)

Angela said...

These quilts are very cool! They are all so very different but each very vibrant, love them.

Anonymous said...

oh wow Melinda. Those are exactly like looking through a kaliedescope. I have a brass one on a stand in living room. My splurge as they are a fantastic toy. Those quilts are amazing. I like the colors on your the best. Looks like spring. My daughter called from OR today telling me her tulips are blooming. I can't even see my garden right now for the snow. Could use your quuilt to brighten everything up, lol. The snow is NEW and WHITE though so that's pretty I guess. Have a great day. Hugz, Scary
ugh my posts are getting like letters, sorry.

Lynda said...

These quilts are fabulous! I bet they were a bit of a headache to put together, to get the colours into such a wonderful sequence. I like them all equally.

~*~Patty S said...

It IS quite amazing how these could come from the same fabrics! Such wonderful and cheery splashes of color and design!!! So glad you had your camera! To see yours I had to click at the very top and a close up view came up.

Peggy said...

I would like to know how to make the cubes. I have done three of these one block wonders and love the way I can "design" my quilt. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Re: Melinda's Fabric Fancies

I noticed the gorgeous quilts posted by Melinda Cornish and loved the first green quilt she made. How can I find out who the manufacturer is and the name of the fabric.
Thanks so much
Nadine
nadyal@sbcglobal.net