Saturday, November 3, 2012

A hat and wand ...

Halloween was very quiet. I missed my grandkids, but I adopted the little girl upstairs, Taylor.
They moved upstairs about a month ago and I have started giving her sewing lessons. She took right to it, I have been impressed with her. While we were sewing, I asked her what she was going to be for Halloween. Her mom is a single mom of two and I know she has a pretty rough time. Taylor told me that she didnt have a costume cause' "her mom just didnt have the money.". I didnt say too much, but I felt bad. Lately my thing has been thrift stores and seeing what they have to "redo". I went a thrift store and found a Candy corn dress for fifty cents. It was ripped and torn but I knew I could make something cute based around it. First of all I made a hat from paper and a peltex brim. I covered it in fabric and then hot glued it together. I made a quilted candy corn and stole from a fall wreath that I had and glued fun stuff on it. I bought 3.oo worth of orange tulle and finished the hat. I used the same materials for a wand. I just started with a wooden stick.
Once she saw the hat she got all excited. I repaired the dress, took it in at the sides, added a tulle underskirt and sewed ribbon on the skirt layers. I had black leggings and boots and a big black pair of sunglasses that we took the lenses out of. Here she is, The Candy Corn Witch.
I think she looks just adorable. Apparently her school did too because she won second place for her costume....K thru 6th. The best part was seeing her so excited about going to school and being able to wear it. I also did a journal page. I am way behind in the monthly prompts but I still enjoyed doing it. The theme is " Be Mindful" , I turned it around because in the last year I have had people in my life who tell me that I say the wrong things so this was my version. Kinda like the bible verse that says how can you judge someone for a splinter in their eye when there is a log in yours. I love that verse by the way though I am not quoting it verbatim. I used black and white and lime greem. I like the colors together. They jump out at you in a nice way.
I talked in the last post about re-doing things...Here are a couple of cool things I have found. A bright yellow wicker and wood chair that became a plant holder in my kitchen and an old green house shutter that I clothespin things too and some colored bottles that the light shines thru. All were about 7.00. How do you beat that.
I also found a metal flower sculpture for a quarter...I painted it black and added old newsprint and red buttons to the middle of the flowers. It is not the best picture because it is way up on my kitchen wall...the ceilings are super high. I really like it, It is fun and different.
Last of all I redid the little table that the hat and wand are on. I got it for 4.00. It was white and some of the wicker had come apart. I rewound it and glued and then painted it a medium brown. It looks really cute and it makes a perfect coffee table. I have been working on a quilt for the family of a man who was shot in the Aurora Colorado theater shootings. It is nautical themed and really pretty. Jean from quiltingranny.blogspot.com has organized a quilt drive for the families and victims who lived. At last count she needed more quilts so if you would, please check it out and if you can volunteer, please do! It is a good cause and I know it is appreciated. As soon as mine is done I will post pictures. Speaking of this project, I need to work on it now so till' next time, Happy Fall xoxoxoxoxmelinda

12 comments:

Maria said...

You are such a thoughtful lady Melinda.. Taylor looks fabulous..
Love the way you re birth old stuff. Looks great.
Hugz
Maria

Pam said...

It made my "heart sing" to read of the kindness you are showing your upstairs neighbor. How proud she must have been on that Halloween costume. You have such a giving spirit.

Love the black flower. The red centers are just the right touch.

I will check out the website.

Have a wonderful week.

Barb said...

What a difference you are making in the young girl's life....she is adorable in that costume. I am sure it was equally as exciting for you.

Love your remakes!

roc said...

What a beautiful costume Melinda. How nice of you to make it for her! You are very kind.

Unknown said...

Amazing creations and how wonderful to have a young friend to share your love of creating.

What a stunning outfit you created - you are so generous with your time and creations

Laurie said...

What a fantastic post Melinda, I love the costume you did, how thoughtful. It turned out perfect! You're very creative and I enjoy looking at the re-do's you create! I'm so happy for you, you're really moving forward.

Needled Mom said...

OMGosh...that costume is just adorable!! I'll bet she was thrilled. You are insiring her to have fun with her creativity.

Jenny said...

Wow. That costume is crazy wonderful1

And so are you!

Just wonderful, though.

Not crazy.

At all.

Okay.

Well, maybe just a teensy bit.

ha!

You're wonderful!

Yarni Gras! said...

what a wonderful outfit you made for her! I wish I had your talent!!! I love all the other things you've made too :-)

Quiltingranny said...

You are absolutely amazing and what a blessing to the mom upstairs!

Laurie said...

You sound like you're doing great! I love that costume you made for your neighbor!!

jillytacy said...

It's so nice you've taken this girl under your wing. She's very lucky to have you! I love thrift stores. Your re-makes are fabulous; that costume is amazing!