Wednesday, November 16, 2011

One Flower Wednesday and a book Review

Hey all, I have been admiring the flower hexagons for a while now. The part that made me nervous was the hand sewing...I keep seeing them on Maria's Life on the Block blog and telling her I want to make some. She was sweet enough to send me some links and here are my first ones...Every Wednesday, there a lot of ladies who make some really pretty hexagons...Now I have to be truthful, I am sewing them by machine. I found if you leave a 1/4 inch at the ends of the seams, you can fold it together and finish the seams. I love using scraps! I dont have a lot of focus type fabric, but I love them done like that...So I did it Maria!!! woohooo

























I also won a book giveaway from Michelle! Her blog is the L7 Quilt company...She asked me to do a review for her after I read it. In this case, I am more than happy to give a review. I have tried to read other quilting fiction, and I just never enjoyed them. This one was really fun and full of small town characters.Nell is the main character and she is the girlfriend of the towns sheriff...She is a busybody in a good way even though she would deny it. Her grandmother owns a quilt shop and this old girl is a pistol...the town is planning and anniversary celebration and grandma ropes Nell into putting together a quilt show.. Then while planting a rose garden, they find a body buried in the garden. The characters are so much fun and I definitely would like a book where Glad is featured...It is a happy little read and I have been looking for the first book in this series...of course the love of quilting is included too...I would highly reccomend it to anyone who loves to read and enjoys a little quilting too!

11 comments:

Jane said...

I really must get going with my hexagons, they are languishing in my sewing roll. Love the focus fabric you've used for the centres

roc said...

love those hexagons. you always do such wonderful sewing projects!

Jenny said...

Hexagons? I can barely sew a 9 patch.

Sigh.

The book sounds great!

Anything for a distraction, right?

thinking of you today and sending a big smooshy hug to you!

Michelle said...

I have no desire to make those pretty little hexagons but I sure do love looking at them!

I'm glad you liked the book.

Maria said...

Oh Well done Melinda. Your hexies look great. Never thought of machine stitching them. How clever are you.

Looks like a great book. Enjoy

Pat said...

Good job figuring out how to do those hexies with the machine! I'll have to look up that book and see if I can get it on my Kindle.

Jody said...

Good job on the hexagons--I'd never attempt to do them by machine.

jillytacy said...

Your hex flowers are great! I love the focus fabric in the middle. Nice work!

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Hey lady! Your hex flowers are awesome! I've never tried those...

Jenny said...

Thinking of you on this Thanksgiving weekend. Sometimes it feels hard to find things to be thankful for...and then I think we have to broaden our vision...broken dreams during the holidays are hard! Sending you peace and joy and the hope that new holiday memories are starting for you this year.

They're not the same...I know...but it can give you something to cling to.

Hugs and prayers.

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Oh these are so cool! I have never actually tried to make one. Trying to figure out how you do it on a machine...