Wednesday, September 21, 2011

spookiness and atc's

I have been feeling better about life in general this last month. Finally went to a dr and am getting my emotional life in order...Hormones be damned. I can tell I feel better because I want to make things again and it feels so darned good! In the last few weeks, I have made a quilted table runner to cover a bench in my entry way, a purse for my sister, Zombie dolls and a couple of atc's. Before I just felt to overwhelmed to even start anything.
So the zombie dolls were inspired by a swap that Val is having. I think I have participated in all three of her yearly Halloween swaps. I saw these clay dolls on the cover of Cloth, paper, scissors" and I thought, "well, shoot I can do that" So I did. Now they arent an exact copy because I am not that talented, but they sure were fun to make.










Please meet the groom and his zombie Bride. His name is Ernest and she is Matilda. Her veil is made out of an upside down wire cork holder from a bottle of champagne. I made her second and I got her head a lot smoother because I remembered I had a dremel with little sanding thingies. I sanded away and then went in the bathroom and I was covered in white dust. my eyebrows were a hoot....Ernest has a whirligig on his head and I really like that. So I am pleased and even though they took me about three days to make, I want to make more. I smiled the whole time.













The atc's were just kind of a practice thing...I havent made on in forever. One of the yahoo groups I am in is having a mega fabric atc swap so I thought I better get in practice again.

First of all there is Ernest...This one is called "Time stops for no man. (zombie)














He really looks too cute but he was having a good hair day and it is what it is.

The second one is a sunflower. I always grew them from seeds in my gardens. They look so happy and colorful. Then I move to Utah and find out they really are a weed here...Still pretty, but yes, a weed. So this one is called " I never knew it was a weed." Pretty creative huh? Sometimes I am the only one that thinks I am funny. But that is ok cause I am like that....you know, funny.













I will post pictures of the other things later...I have to work early am tomorrow so I need to put my funny self to bed.
I want to thank all of you who read my blog. It has been a rough and lonely time and you all have stuck by me and gave me support. It has been lonely for me in Utah and since I have been here, other than my sister and my friend Missy, another blogger here in Utah, you have been my only friends. From the bottom of my heart I thank you all...xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

15 comments:

Jane said...

So pleased you are feeling better, it's lovely to see you creating again. Looks like you've been having fun

Jody said...

I don't know about anyone else, but I think you are funny...and sweet,....and a nice person! Glad you are getting back up to speed.

Helen in the UK said...

Wonderful to hear that you are getting your creative mojo back again - definately a good sign!!
Love the dolls and the ATCs. Amazing how you've managed to give a slightly spooky edge to a sunflower! Keep up the great work :)

jillytacy said...

The zombie dolls are awesome! You are so talented!
By the way I'm glad you've been feeling better and are back to creating again!

Joanne Lendaro said...

those zombie dolls are the cutest, or not? Glad to see you getting things done, it's great for the soul.

Michelle said...

LOVE THE DOLLS! I'm a Halloween lover! & good to hear you are feeling better!

Anonymous said...

i love all your creations
and am so glad you're feeling good
hormones be damed ~yes~
i still love sunflowers weed or not
i see my quilty BEAR every time i walk into my office and think of YOU...my sweet friend!
BEAR HUGS
~victoria~

Jo said...

hang in there Melinda .... you are a wonderful person and i am so glad to have met you out here in blogland! it is wonderful that you are creating ... and those zombies are a hoot, i loved the bridal veil the minute i saw it, perfect detail!!!

JennaLouiseCreates said...

So happy you are creating again:) Everything is so much fun as always...I just love everything you create:)

Laurie said...

It's so great to hear you say that you're feeling better! "In the midst of winter I finally found/there was in me an invincible summer." I'm sure you have heard that quote before -- so true, huh? It's amazing what we can bounce back from! I'm so happy for you. I like your ATCs!

Kerry said...

Melinda - it's so great to hear you're feeling better - you deserve it!!!
Those Zombie dolls are works of art girl!!! I absolutely adore them.

Jenny said...

The zombies are wickedly creepy cool.

And so are you.

Not creepy.

Just wickedly cool!

I'm glad you're finding your way back to the sunshine.

Yarni Gras! said...

We've all been here, just waiting for you to return :-) I'm so glad you are beginning to smile again. I love your dolls.....they are AMAZING. Not surprising though given how incredibly talented you are!

Pam said...

So glad you are feeling better and back in the creative mode. Love the zombies and your atcs. Wishing you Happy Days of creating your art!

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

Hey Lady!!! So glad to hear you're feeling better and back to your creative self! Love your zombies and your ATCs! Sunflowers are weeds? Haven't they heard of sunflower oil? Weird. Well I still love them! They so bright and happy!