Wednesday, January 19, 2011

voodoo and karma.......

Ok, you all remember my talk of voodoo dolls. Well, I made one and he is a looker I tell you.....Missy, who has become a good friend sent me a link on how to make one and I let it slip that my lack of moss was the hold up...She came right over with a baggie full to help me out. She also brought me more eggs from her chickens and a lavender and tea tree oil mix for my shingles.....a whole other tragic story but I am not going to go there....Isnt she awesome?
So the voodoo doll? I made one and here he is....He is made with one of &^%$%$$#'s shirts, some of his hair, a pair of glasses made out of wire and lots of laughter...







this is me sticking the first pin in his....um, you know......











Isnt Mr. $#@$$%^^&^$%$$# a happy doll? More pins to come, stay tuned.








Now the directions for the doll also talks about Karma....so in order to balance the whole pin in the you know thing I have to do a good deed too....My good deed is working on a quilt for an orphanage of blind kids that jean from http://quiltingranny.blogspot.com is spearheading. She knows a missionary who is going to take quilts for the children in the summer...She wants to send quite a few...I committed to two...I actually started sewing pink scraps together and this is what I have so far.....








These are'nt sewn together yet so it will probably look totally different when finished because I have to go dig out more pink scraps to get it to a twin size....If you want to help please go to Jeans blog and volunteer...She even suggests just using eight fat quarters to make a quilt top....I am going to back mine with a really soft pink fleece and forgo the batting....I am also going to make a boy pirate quilt...Please help if you can....
It has been really fun getting to know a fellow blogger... I mentioned that Missy came over for another visit. She also brought some of her beautiful hand painted eggs to show me....It is a Russian art form and boy are they amazing...She is going to teach me how to do them and may teach a class at a local community college too.













Traditionally, the eggs are full of symbols but she does all kinds of fun patterns and designs. I love the rooster...We also are getting together and making super fancy pantsy Valentine cupcakes wrapped individually to sell...I already have an order for thirty...My dad got me a mini Cricut Cake cutter so we are breaking it in and Missy has all the pans and tips and fun stuff...Just a fun thing to do together......I am slowly making headway in returning emails and visiting blogs....If I havent got to you yet, watch for me!

25 comments:

Jane said...

Oh, it's so good to hear you having fun and making new friends. It's a long journey, but you are really heading in the right direction. Some little girl is going to be delighted with the pink quilt

Barb said...

You are cracking me up.....I laughed out loud....so funny.

Love your quilt....

~*~Patty S said...

OK Your Voodoo doll is brilliant and very therapeutic !
Well done
Love the way you are finding balance and I sure hope you recover from shingles real soon...stress sure can mess with us!

Take care and keep being your creative self...you inspire me

Love those eggs too...lucky you getting fresh ones!
oxo

Helen in the UK said...

The voodoo doll is great - enjoy the pinning part of the process ... soooo therapeutic!! Love the start of the pink scrappy quilt too :)

Sarah said...

those painted eggs are STUNNING!

and I love that voodoo doll :) enjoy the pinning :) the karma idea is a nice one, balance is good.

Anonymous said...

You are too funny girlfriend...
love the voodoo...you go girl :)
Hey...I see STREAKER in your header today :) love that...
~victoria~

Lorraine said...

hello melinda...love the eggs and the quilt..thanks for all your great comments on my recent journal pages

Pam said...

I do remember that someone suggested a voodoo doll. Love the idea (pin placement and all). I'm a firm believer in doing for others. My high school students did a service project each semester. It was so inspiring seeing them doing something for others. I never had one complaint from the teens.

By the way, I love th eggs. I'm so glad you now have someone to craft with. Relax and get rid of those shingles.

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

Love love love the voodoo doll. I could have used one of those a couple of times. I haven't had that good of a laugh in days....thank you! You are such a hoot! You sound like you are bouncing back just beautifully. I am so glad. You deserve to be happy! Glad that you are having a fun time with you new creative friend. Her painted eggs are awesome. Have a fun week. Hugs, Karen

Patty said...

Karma seems to be working bringing you Missy to help get you back in the swing of things. Its good to laugh again isn't? ;)

Marva Plummer-Bruno said...

LOL!!!! The voodoo doll is too funny! I was going to make you one but of course I hadn't researched it so good thing I didn't, karma and all... Love Missy's eggs! Sounds like you to are having a blast! So glad to have you back blogging! :D

Jen xo said...

haha too funny....the quilts will be fantastic....good to see you back, take care...

Kerry said...

You go girl - pin away!!!!
Love the pink quilt top - can't go wrong with pink after all:-)
Hugs

Laurie said...

Love your voodoo doll Melinda! Great for taking out the aggressions on isn't it!?
Here's a link to a post I did on Psanky eggs that we did: http://buttonsnlace.blogspot.com/2010/03/busy-weekend.html
We had so much fun!

JennaLouiseCreates said...

The Voodoo doll is great. Good way to let out unwanted stress. Those eggs are just lovely and I can't wait to see the cake creations. Blessings to you Melinda you are a special person, I always love your blog!

Kathy said...

Well, that's one way to get out your frustrations and anger!! HA! I got a kick out of it. But you didn't post the link where you found how to make one. Could you do that, I'd be interested!!
The eggs are marvelous, she is an artist for sure.
Have fun with the cupcakes, they sound yummy!!

Joanne Lendaro said...

SHINGLES!!! Hope you are doing okay!! Those things can be miserable!! The voo-do doll is funny and the pink quilt is adorable! Good to see you!

roc said...

oh my gosh..i giggled when i read the whole voo doo doll thing! you make me laugh!

Yarni Gras! said...

I love this post! I cracked up about Mr. Voodoo doll....and his nether region pin! The eggs and quilt are lovely!

voodoo vixen said...

LOL... now that's one serious looking voodoo doll!! Love the eggs, they are beautiful.

Jenny said...

Love the quilt and the eggs. Stick a pin in him for me, too! Oh heck, make mine a railroad spike!

Quiltingranny said...

Melinda, so glad the orphans are on the receiving end of Karma. Thank you so much for doing this and I love the eggs, they are gorgeous!

Praying for the shingles to disappear, I hear they are awful and you need rest and relaxation, not Shingles!

Little Messy Missy said...

xoxoxoxoxoxo
Can't wait to get baking the cup cakes. Friday I am getting some more sprinkles etc. I have some really great recipes...I cant wait!
P.S. I got the job...I work daily from 9-12:30....lets do dinner...Mexican again??
xoxoxoxoxoxo

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

The VooDoo doll is great! Shingles? Oh No!!

Those eggs are amazing! I watched a show about these eggs before and I just can't wrap my head around the process. I think I will stick at looking at their beauty and leave the making to the talented designers.

Your pink quilt is adorable. I love an all pink quilt, it just screams girl.

Anonymous said...

If you need more pins for that doll....I am happy to send some over LOL